Mixed Reality Toolkit(MRTK) v2 for HoloLens 2
Apr 2018 – Present, Developer Experience Design | Cognition | Microsoft
Mixed Reality Toolkit-Unity is an open-source project which provides a set of foundational components and features to accelerate mixed reality app development in Unity. The latest Release of MRTK v2 supports HoloLens 2’s new Hand Tracking and Eye Tracking input.
I led the overall UX design of the MRTK’s building blocks, examples, assets, and documentation. In this process, I closely worked with the engineering team and program managers to prioritize UX items and triage bugs based on internal/external customer’s needs.
- Led the design of MRTK’s UX building blocks
- Helped the team to validate hand tracking APIs by building prototypes
- Updated existing UI controls and interactions to support near interaction with hand tracking & far interaction with hand-ray
- Created various example scenes to accelerate design and development of the HoloLens 2 applications
- Worked with the engineering team to ensure MRTK’s building blocks are extensible, modular and people can easily customize and infuse own brand identity
- Created test scenes for the near interaction user research studies
- Polished the visual and interaction design of the controls
- Submitted & reviewed Pull Requests on Visual Studio Online and GitHub
- Created documents that explain technical details and design guidelines
- Created videos with Mixed Reality Capture to promote new features
- Engaged with the developer community through multiple channels including GitHub, Slack, and Mixed Reality Academy
- Worked with multiple partner companies and helped them to update HoloLens v1 apps to support new interactions
Building Block Examples
Created an example scene where developers and creators can experience, play, and learn about HoloLens 2’s new hand tracking input interactions. All building blocks still support HoloLens v1’s GGV(Gaze/Gesture/Voice) input and Windows Mixed Reality immersive headset’s motion controller input.
MRTK v2 (Release Candidate 1) has been released on 4/5/2019.